Posted by Mary Ann Minick | Posted in Pet Safety | Posted on 28-10-2010-05-2008
When it comes to Halloween, most people are either giving out mass amounts of candy and treats or consuming mass amounts (or both, if they’ve got kids!). If you’re giving or receiving, it’s critical that pets be protected from access to the sugary confections we share as part of the festivities – because your pet’s life depends on it.
While Halloween can be a fun time for pet parents, costumes is where owners have to draw the line when it comes to pets sharing in on the fun. And while subjecting your dog or cat to the “fun” of wearing pirate costumes and angel wings is safe if the costumes are appropriate for pets, veterinarians warn of the dangers of candy for pets – especially chocolate. Dark chocolate in particular is extremely toxic for dogs. While you can try your best to keep pets away from our treats, sometimes accidents do happen. It’s important for owners to recognize the symptoms that a pet might have ingested candy and need medical care. If your pet has injested candy (particularly chocolate), the following are symptoms of a situation that requires attention from a veterinarian:
If your pet doesn’t receive proper treatment in time, it could experience seizures and die. The best thing you can do to reward your pets or let them in on the holidays is to provide treats made just for pets. If you want to feel like you’re really treating them, there are a plethora of pet-friendly treats at your local pet specialty store or available online from companies like From Scratch Pet Bakery that make scrumptious treats for our four-legged friends.
So, to sum things up: bad costumes are good, good (people) treats are bad. Dress them up, parade them around town, but just make sure their treats won’t bring them down! Happy Howloween from your friends at All Pets Wellness Foundation!